The main issues considered at the meeting were:
- Public Library Funding Strategy 2009/10 - the meeting recieved a report confirming that current model is being utilsed for the allocation of public library funding to NSW Councils for the 2009/10 financial year. The report also advised that the Premier has endorsed the new funding model recommended by Library Council in response to the Parry Review, noting that it is to be introduced only when new additional funding becomes available to ensure no council is worse off. The State Library has submitted a Maintenance of Effort bid for the 2010/11 Forward Estimates to address the issues of population growth and CPI on the Public Library Grants and Subsidies.
- Review of the Library Regulation 2005 - the current Library Regulation expires on 1 September 2010. The remaking of a regulation requires the preparation of a Regulatory Impact Statement (RIS) and a period of public consultation in accordance with s5 of the Subordinate Legislation Act 1989. The Premier’s Memorandum M2008-05 requires a public consultation period of 28 days. This will occur in the first half of 2010, during which all NSW local authorities will be consulted as part of the review process.
- Development of a NSW Public Library Sector Strategic Plan - the meeting considered a report from Public Libraries NSW - Metropolitan proposing the development of a 10 year strategic plan for the NSW public library sector.
- an update on the Public Library Network Research Program 2008/09 projects - Scenarios for the Future NSW Public Library Network; Cost Benefit Analysis of Models for Collection Management: acquisitions, cataloguing and processing in NSW public libraries; update of Living Learning Libraries: standards and guidelines for NSW public libraries.
- Legal Information Access Centre (LIAC) and drug info @ your library Branch Report 2008-09 - the meeting was provided with a presentation outlining the achievements of these programs during 2008-09
- NSW.net Service Delivery and Marketing Strategy - the meeting was provided with a progress report on the rollout of the NSW.net Service Delivery and Marketing Strategy July - December 2009
- Library Council Report - the Chairperson provided an update on PLCC matters that had been considered by Library Council since the previous PLCC meeting
- information reports were received from Public Libraries NSW - Metropolitan; Public Libraries NSW - Country; and Anne Hall (Manager, Library & Museum Servicves, Fairfield City Council) detailing her attendance at the World Library & Information Congress: 75th IFLA General Conference & Assembly and the IFLA Satellite Meeting: Library Services to Multicultural Populations.
Please contact Cameron Morley (Manager, Funding & Advisory Services) on firstname.lastname@example.org or 02 92731483 for further information on any aspects of the 16 November meeting.
The agenda and minutes from previous PLCC meetings are available on the State Library website:
Minutes from the November 2009 meeting will be accessible once they have been endorsed by Library Council and any required matters are actioned.
Chairperson - Public Libraries Consultative Committee
PO Box 5186
Wagga Wagga NSW 2650
þp: 02 69269777
f: 02 69269779
m: 0408 285724